Research at Relationships Australia NSW:
- is an integral part of our professional development and quality management systems
- enables a reflective approach to both our clinical practice and professional development.
In addition to research about relationships, we:
- undertake evaluations that monitor service provision;
- gather client perceptions and experiences of our clinical work;
- contribute to policy and practice development at a sector level.
Our Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) oversees ethics approval and monitoring of our formal research. Scroll down for further information on our HREC.
WHY DO WE CONDUCT RESEARCH AND EVALUATION?
In the first instance, we conduct research to continuously improve our practice and service delivery. We also collaborate with community, academic, non-government and government partners to inform policy and funding models.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROGRAMS FOR LGBTIQ CLIENTS WITH ACON
In 2015, Relationships Australia NSW developed a partnership with ACON (formerly the AIDS Council of New South Wales). This cross-agency, implementation research project will develop and test group interventions for perpetrators and survivors of domestic and family violence. We are:
- tailoring our evidence based program for LGBTIQ clients;
- trialing and evaluating these tailored programs;
- generating best practice criteria for ongoing program development and service provision.
YOUNG CHILDREN IN DIVORCE STUDY WITH FAMILY TRANSITIONS
This project aims to test the effectiveness of a newly developed online seminar for parents who have children five years or younger, and who are going through a separation. The aim is to provide additional parenting support to help parents reduce the negative impact of acrimonious separations on young children. We are:
- gathering baseline data which reports on outcomes from our current practice;
- trialing the online parenting seminar with a sample of clients;
- gathering data which reports on the effectiveness of this seminar to understand the impact of the program.
INTERNAL RESEARCH PROJECTS
To constantly improve our own service we conduct a wide range of internal research projects. We are currently studying:
- our performance in relation to our Stretch Reconciliation Plan;
- how to best serve clients who identify as LGBTIQ;
- factors that influence client engagement and retention at our counselling services;
- client outcomes at our Family Relationships Services;
- how clients perceive and experience our services in general.
HUMAN RESEARCH ETHICS COMMITTEE (HREC)
The RANSW Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) is registered with the National Health and Medical Research Council (HREC number EC00416).
The purpose of the RANSW HREC is to protect the welfare and the rights of participants in research involving clients, staff and community stakeholders. The committee operates in accordance with the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research 2007 (updated 2018) – the ‘National Statement’. The Terms of reference for the committee can be accessed at this link: RANSW HREC ToR.
Membership of the RANSW HREC complies with the requirements of the National Statement.
|Mr Andrew Butler||Not affiliated|
|Lay member||Ms Megan Shipley||Not affiliated|
|Lay member||Mr Callum Mealey||Not affiliated|
|Lay member||Ms Kathryn Barnes||Not affiliated|
|Professional Practitioner||Ms Charmaine Bradley||Employed by RANSW|
|Pastoral Care||Rabbi Alon Meltzer||Not affiliated|
|Legal||Ms Sonya Kim||Not affiliated|
|Legal||Ms Ally Hijazi||Not affiliated|
|Social Researcher||Dr Brendan New||Not affiliated|
|Social Researcher||Professor Fran Waugh||Not affiliated|
|Social Researcher||Dr Jenny Baker||Not affiliated|
|Convenor||Dr Jen Hamer||Employed by RANSW|
Complaints about researchers or the conduct of research that has been approved by the RANSW HREC should be directed to Dr Jen Hamer at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Complaints about the RANSW HREC, its review processes or decisions should be directed to the Chairperson Mr Andrew Butler in the first instance, at email@example.com or, if required to the RANSW CEO Ms Elisabeth Shaw at: firstname.lastname@example.org