Graduate Diploma of Relationship Counselling
Enrolments for our February 2021 intake are now closed. Please enter your details below to be notified when our next round of enrolments are open!
Do you have skills and experience in counselling? Want to specialise in relationship counselling and make a difference?
Our Graduate Diploma of Relationship Counselling is your path to a rewarding and worthwhile career as a relationship counsellor. Your knowledge and skills will be recognised Australia-wide and will equip you to provide advice and support to those struggling with relationship issues. Your specialist expertise will include couples therapy, family counselling, domestic and family violence, child well-being, crisis intervention, and grief counselling.
If you already work in counselling, psychotherapy, psychology, social work, mediation or related areas, this qualification will allow you to extend your professional practice.
You’ll learn from some of Australia’s leading practitioners, in a course based on over 72 years of frontline relationship services work by Relationships Australia. Our knowledge, experience and reputation will ensure you graduate ready to gain employment.
Best of all, our blended learning options (both online and face-to-face) provide the flexibility you need to balance study with your other commitments.
Sign up to be notified about our next intake!
Enter your details below, and we’ll let you know when our next intake is open for our Graduate Diploma of Relationship Counselling.
You’ll also receive a link to download our 2021 Course Guide.
What can you expect from this diploma?
This course will equip you with the clinical skills, knowledge and confidence to provide advice and support to those struggling with relationship issues. You’ll learn to:
- Apply the principles of structured, impartial, non-judgemental, respectful counselling.
- Apply a full range of proven therapy techniques to assist couples and families.
- Recognise and respond to crisis situations, and to evidence of family violence, parenting stress, mental health issues, loss and grief issues, and child harm.
- Work effectively with more than one client in the room.
- Understand the legal and ethical considerations applying to relationship counselling.
- Work effectively within a case management and clinical supervision framework.
Successful candidates will meet one of the following requirements:
- Undergraduate degree or higher qualification in counselling, psychotherapy, psychology, social work, social science or equivalent.
- An accredited qualification in counselling at diploma or advanced diploma level.
- Relevant work experience. This is likely to be in a family counselling environment in a position requiring self-directed application of knowledge, exercise of independent judgement and decision-making, and relevant technical skills.
All applicants are required to undertake a suitability interview with the course coordinator.
Duration & delivery mode
The course is delivered via a mix of online learning and face-to-face classroom sessions.
This program has 15 face-to-face classroom contact days, and the program is equivalent to 10 to 15 hours of study per week. Students will be required to undertake self-directed online learning outside of classroom delivery.
Please see the February 2021 Course Delivery Schedule [PDF] to get an idea of how Modules and face-to-face sessions will be delivered in future courses.
Face-to-face days will be held in Sydney (Macquarie Park).
Relationship Counselling employment opportunities
The Federal Government estimates that the demand for family and marriage counsellors will be very strong over the next 5 years. See joboutlook.gov.au.
Graduates will be qualified to work in a variety of family relationship specialist roles including:
- Family Counsellor
- Couple and Family Counsellor
- Relationship Counsellor
- Marriage Counsellor
- Post Separation Counsellor
- Child and Family Counsellor
Participants who complete this qualification may also be eligible for a Master’s Degree program.
Full Fee: $11,000
We offer fortnightly payment plans to make it easy for you to pay your tuition fees.
Recognition of prior learning
RPL credit may be granted for relevant prior study. Students seeking recognition for all or part of a qualification must complete the online Recognition Application at least 14 days before the start of the course.
Students must complete 50 hours of supervised counselling work, included in the face-to-face intensives. A current Working with Children check is required before commencing work placement.
Ready to enrol?
Enrolments for our February 2021 intake are now closed.
Please enter your details below to register your interest, and we’ll notify you as soon as enrolments for our next intake are open!
For more information or if you have any questions on this program please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9425 4931. Relationships Australia NSW delivers this qualification in partnership with Australian Institute of Social Relations, RTO 102358 a division of Relationships Australia South Australia.