Family Advocacy Support Service
Who is it for?
The Family Advocacy & Support Service (FASS) is for individuals affected by family violence and have a matter preparing to go to Family Court, at Family Court, or after their Family Court matter has finalised. Whether you are legally represented (legal aid or privately) or self-represented, our service is available to you.
Our service also extends to people indirectly affected by family violence, such as extended family, grandparents and new partners. Relationships Australia provides the support for Men, with a separate Women’s service provided by another provider. See “Booking this program” below for further detail.
What will it be like?
• We will initially ask for some personal information as part of our intake process.
• We will maintain confidentiality and your privacy as appropriate under our duty of care.
• We will listen to you non-judgementally and compassionately.
• We will discuss your current circumstances, including where your court matter is at and your next expected court appearances.
• We can talk about issues in your relationships, both past and present.
• We will provide non-legal information in regards to your court matter.
• We will discuss your social and safety needs.
• We can also discuss services that can help meet your needs.
- Clarify your problems.
- Gain new perspectives.
- Work through change.
How can it help me?
- Assessing your social needs and making appropriate referrals to services that can assist – this could be counselling or family therapy, parenting courses, supervised contact services, housing, victims services, centrelink, etc.
- Providing information, non-legal advocacy and court support to you during your Family Court process
- Providing advocacy on your behalf with organisations such as the Police, Housing NSW and Victims Services, and especially in relation to ADVOs.
- Risk assessment and safety planning
- Assisting with Court Safety Plans
- Referrals to behaviour change programs and other assistance, if appropriate.
Booking this program
We are available at each of the four main Family Law Courts, Monday to Friday- 9:30am-1pm and 2pm-4pm and are also available via telephone.
- For the Men’s Service: 1300 003 277 Select which court you need to attend and leave a message if they can’t take your call immediately.
- For Women’s Service: 1800 113 277, leave a message if they can’t take your call immediately.
- Sydney – Level 4, 97-99 Goulburn St
- Parramatta – Level 2, 1 – 3 George St
- Newcastle – Level 4, 61 Bolton St
- Wollongong – Level 1, 43 Burelli St
No appointment necessary, we are a drop in service.
We are a free service, funded by the Commonwealth Government.