Men's Choice & Change
Who is it for?
This program is for men 16 years and older who are experiencing domestic and family violence.
Relationships Australia NSW receives over 24,000 referrals from police every year for men who are reported as victims of domestic and family violence. Services are well established for women and children who have experienced violence, but male victims of domestic violence can face many hurdles in coming forward and seeking safety and support. Violence of any kind, against anyone, is never excusable or acceptable. Men’s Choice & Change (MCC) is for men who have experienced violence from a current or ex-partner, parent, step-parent, child, sibling, grandparent, housemate, or extended family member.
What will it be like?
Your dedicated MCC caseworker will work with you over the course of 6 weeks during weekly sessions lasting around one hour. We’ll help you identify any safety risks, set goals, and address your immediate needs for support and services. Sessions are usually conducted over the phone or via secure video call, or face-to-face if needed.
Key indicators of DV:
- Physical violence such as slapping, punching, kicking or pushing.
- Threats to harm you, your children, other loved ones or pets.
- Bullying behaviours including being dominating, intimidating, humiliating or controlling.
- Constantly messaging or calling you, checking your phone and other devices without permission, tracking devices to monitor your whereabouts.
- Socially isolating you by preventing you from seeing or talking to your family and friends.
- Restricting your access to shared finances and bank accounts.
- Emotional blackmail to make you stay in the relationship.
How can it help me?
- Recognise unhealthy relationship patterns and understand the impact of aggression and control on yourself and your family.
- Develop skills to help you respond to violence and other coercive behaviours.
- Develop a safety plan to protect yourself and build the confidence to activate it when under threat of violence.
- Identify appropriate services that can assist you. This could be counselling, family therapy, parenting courses, supervised contact centres, family law services, victim services, housing, or Centrelink.
- Improve your emotional wellbeing, coping skills and build self esteem and confidence to move on with your life.
- Develop an exit strategy to help you safely leave the relationship or household.
This is a free service
Our MCC program caseworkers have extensive experience, resources and qualifications in working with male victims of domestic violence.
This program is currently available to residents who live in the local government areas of Ryde, Sydney City and Northern Beaches.
For more information or to apply for the program
To access the MCC program, download and complete the self-referral form and return via email.
Once we receive your email, one of our Men’s Choice & Change caseworkers will be in contact with you.
For more information or if you have any questions:
Call: 1300 364 277